
I teach the 4 year olds in Primary @ my church. They're cute, little talkative children (Three girls and 1 boy) with a lot on their mind. Mostly, they seek attention from each other by poking, patting, and prodding (and yelling as a last resort) to get a response. Sitting still in a chair is new to most of them, and even the promise of a Tootsie Roll for staying seated is quickly forgotten (not the Tootsie Roll, but what they have to do to get it).
I come prepared each sunday with several activities to keep us all focused on the lesson in fun ways. Little did I realize they'd finish drawing their pictures so quickly! After scribbling for approximately one minute, they would display their masterpiece for all to see and pronounce, "I drew a fish!" "This is princess!" "Mine's a temple." "It's a gum-watch!"
Very nice. The gum-watch actually did resemble a watch, by the way. And the temple had structure too. One girl even wrote her name on her drawing, which caught me totally by surprise.
The hardest part of my calling is that and if I weren't supposed to be actually teaching these kids how to act in church (quiet voices, folded arms, sitting reverently in that very small chair, etc.), and teaching a lesson about how much Heavenly Father and Jesus love us, I'd love to just sit back and watch the children interact. That's what I've done in Nursery when visiting, the 4 days that I didn't have a calling, it was amusing. The things they do - their wide eyes when talking about things, their inability to sit still or concentrate on any one thing for more than a few seconds, their bubbly excitement about Tootsie Rolls and candy in general, and their attempts at meaningful interactions between each other - make me laugh. I think I'm really just one of them, though it takes more than one Tootsie Roll to get me bubbly (try lemon squares or chocolate cake). And I don't care as much which chair I sit in (surprising how territorial they can be). As long as I get one of the big ones, that is.
I've been so used to reverent children, eager to learn and listen to a well prepared lesson. With the CTR5's there's always a lesson prepared yet rarely a lesson given.
Today for instance all three girls got up to say the prayer..and they all said different prayers at the same time! I don't know what to even say to that. I let them pray and to break up the fights afterwards we reverently walked to the water fountain. WHEW! another sunday over.
When will they understand? or When will I understand...
C onsuming
T attling
R ambunktious
so to be 5 year olds
If I could just teach them to choose the right! HA