Sunday, September 7, 2008

My Baby Boy is gone...




This is the most recent picture of have of just Nick. Every other picture I have of him, there are friends or family.And he has a hard time being fully dressed. He was 'underwear boy with a sword from 2-6 only because he had to wear clothes in school! Now he prefers undershirts...gray ones white ones whatever ones he can get past me....I'll prove it....maybe I'll post some of them at the end of this. Today Nick (my baby) was ordained a deacon with the Aaronic Priesthood. There are so many great things about Nick. He is a gentle boy with a strong mind. At times he is a deep thinker. He drinks books and reads the sports page every morning. He's a chip off the ol' block when it comes to sports. (Not my block but John's) He is playing Soccer and loves his team and coach.

They have never lost a game....3 years running. He likes to shoot hoops but won't swing a bat. He reads the scriptures at night. Right now he is reading the Doctrine and Covenants. He has a replica copy of the Book of Mormon, that he had to have when we toured the printing press in Palmyra, NY. He chose the book over these pewter figurines of book of Mormon characters like Nephi and Abinadi. They were adorable and collectors item. I would have bought him both but he had a budget and chose the book over the toys, it was unbelievable to me- he was only 8. I thought at that moment that he was a very special boy developing a good testimony. But surprised again, as soon as we got in the car he began reading it! He read the first 16 chapters before we returned to our hotel. He has read the entire Book of Mormon 4 times on his own. He is remarkable in his studies of gospel things. He always writes his own talks. He is easy to teach and understands quickly. Nick always has a favorite conference talk (but we are all conference junkies and love them all!!) He was motivated by Micheal Phelps recently and has been swimming laps everyday in the pool after school.


He hates to practice his piano but does it anyway. He can't figure out why he has to learn it. In his partiarchal blessing (which he wanted at age 8, but was told to wait 2 years, and did get it at age 10) it has some beautful promises for him.
I tell him they may need a pianist when he serves in the church and he replies with 'I'm not raising my hand if they need a piano player' I know he will think differently when he is older so he will continue to play. And his friends love to hear him play and he teaches them sometimes. He loves music and he is quick to observe the rules of no smutty stuff. The first time he downloaded songs on his mp3 he put all kinds and even 3 primary songs he liked. I loved that! He plays rockband with his buddies and won't play guitar hero because some of the songs have bad lyrics. He likes being an uncle and thinks Savannah is adorable!

He loves his dog Jersey but never plays with her enough. Overall he is a mothers dream child. Of course he was the last one! I love all my children. Each one is unique and special. I love being a Mom and wouldn't trade it for anything!





Nick 'ticklin' the ivories'





a visit with Nan and Nate in Utah this summer