Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What are you reading this summer?

I love thinking about holding the thickest book I can find for my summer read. It most definetly has to be a great read. I remember the first time I read a novel over 900 pages, Anna Karenina. And I loved the early Sydney Shelton mysteries that held me capitvated and made me read all night. I recently read the Ken Follett novels "Pillars of the Earth" and then "World without End" both over 900 pages. They came highly recommended and they took me away to 12th century England for almost 4 weeks!
We do frequent library visits in the summer. The kids and I have made a goal to read 6 books (each at least 200 pages) before school starts, August 6th. Wish us luck.

Nick is starting with a trilogy that was on the list of

'Great Books for Boys' by Michelle Paver, and he said it has been an exciting read.

Haley has a casserole of books on her list from Victor Frankel's "Man's Search For Meaning" to several Nancy Drew and Emily Windsnap goodies


I'm 1/2 way through first book on my summer list, "My Sister's Keeper". I like it so far but its not a real page turner. I can put it down and go about my day without even thinking about it. Funny gauge huh?!

I got my Ensign in the mail yesterday and I tend to plow through it too fast, so I'm pacing myself and only reading 1 article per day, even though I already read 3 articles the minute I opened it! I do love having the conference issues on my nightstand. Its nice to read something wonderful before sleeping.
I think I am going to read the complete works of Shakespeare with the kids when schools starts. We love to curl up at night in the winter and read together.