Monday, January 16, 2012

you know when things need to be done...

After Christmas this year I really wanted the kids to help me clean out and organize the pantry- its a huge task and not one I wanted to do alone. Granted, there are some projects I enjoy doing by myself but this is not one of those. Everyone uses the pantry they hide things in it, they pull items out and don't return them to their proper place. (I initially put everything in its perfect place when we moved in 11 months ago) My system was fairly clean- baking items together, food storage together, fruit, soups all together nice and neat. Well on the day I planned for this great endeavor I woke up sick- couldn't move didn't know why but my body was not cooperating. I started sneezing and coughing my lungs felt heavy and all I wanted to do was stay in bed. Which is just what I did for about 4 days. Sadly, the kids went back to school (Christmas break was over!) and the pantry still haunted me. So, yesterday after the boys left,  Haley was in the pantry and I heard her rustling around and it sounded like she cracked something. With big eyes she came out and said my shelves were 'tilting' I came to see what she was talking about and the minute I saw the shelf with the bottles of beans, chicken, beef, peaches, pears (should I go on?) all my summer labor threatening to slid right off the shelf, I quickly asked Haley to help me take those bottles off as fast as we could. The shelves are only supported on one side and the opposite side had come unglued, not nailed mind you, but unglued. So John came to look at them and I asked him NOT to lift or disturb the shelf as I would take everything out tomorrow and he could make the shelves stronger...but instead he had to lift one of the shelves which gave a nice 'earthquake' affect and almost everything on the shelf below that was glass, came crashing to the floor, spewing salsa and Ragu all over my sunday skirt and slippers! I was mad but with arms outstretched and frozen like I was playing frozen tag- trying to hold the cans and bottles left on the shelf from falling I screamed and screamed for Nick, John was in the same position~ Nick thought we were yelling for him to come see something on the Tv which didn't really interest him so he took his time and meandered into the family room, then the pantry. He quickly helped clean up the mess and vowed he would help tomorrow put things away. So the job is getting done but not the way I had planned- its funny how things need to be done and somehow it all comes together. Progress pictures soon to come ;)