Thursday, December 17, 2009

Being laid up at Christmas



>




Have you ever had life upended a week before Christmas? I don't recommend it- ever. I fell last Sunday- well I was pushed, knocked over really by the dog coming at full speed . She hit me from behind so I had no warning and I was wearing high heels. I mention that because if I would have had my athletic shoes on I think I would have fallen differently. It was the ultimate, embarrassing, slow motion fall. Or at least it felt like that way. I laid in the road for a minute in disbelief, then checked myself for rips and any blood coming off my face or head. I was in my Sunday best just putting items in my car I needed to take to church. Being the caring co-owner of a dog who likes her freedom, I consented to letting her get in a few runs up and down the street in front of our house. This is something I've been doing for a couple of months now every morning, since the real owner doesn't notice that the dog still lives here, pppfff 7th graders!
A visit to the emergency room and 1 bottle of pain pills later I am stuck at home watching all the holiday shows with a pain drenched left meniscus. Watching all the things I can't do or go buy (no driving on pain pills) and I have unfinished projects. I don't know what got into me this year. Thinking I would put together some crafty, perfect for a young family, gift! I used a glue gun several times. If you know me, this is so unnatural for me.
Today I couldn't take it anymore- I made a list of web sites with Christmas Cookie recipes and printed them all off. Then feeling ambitious (again it must be the pain medication) I sent John off to different stores for all the ingredients. I found him later this afternoon, in bed exhausted from the errands, lines and lists of very unnatural things for him to pick up. He did do a great job in Hobby Lobby (here again using language I've never used before) he found perfect boxes and some ribbon he even bought very cute Velum paper to put between the cookies in the box. So let the baking begin. Many of these cookie recipes call for the dough to be refrigerated for hours. So I will make them tonight and roll, cut, bake and decorate tomorrow! Wish me luck.